NAHMA Membership Categories:
View the NAHMA 2022 Membership Directory under the password-protected Members Only tab
NAHMA – The Choice of Affordable Housing Providers
NAHMA: The Industry Leader
The National Affordable Housing Management Association is the leading voice for affordable housing management, advocating on behalf of multifamily property managers and owners whose mission is to provide quality affordable housing. As an advocate for professional standards for affordable housing providers, NAHMA holds a unique position in the industry.
NAHMA’s mission is to support legislative and regulatory policy that promotes the development and preservation of decent and safe affordable housing. NAHMA serves as a vital resource for technical education and information, fosters strategic relations between government and industry, and recognizes those who exemplify the best in affordable housing. Founded in 1990, NAHMA’s membership today includes the industry’s most distinguished multifamily owners, managers and industry stakeholders.
NAHMA is the voice in Washington for 20 regional affordable housing management associations (AHMAs) nationwide.
Here’s why affordable housing property owners and managers and others with an interest in affordable housing join NAHMA.
The Value of Membership
Managers, owners and industry stakeholders join NAHMA because it is essential to their business. They rely on NAHMA for representation in Washington, invaluable professional education, information, networking and opportunities for one-on-one dialogue with federal and state agencies impacting the industry.
Whether you manager or own LIHTC, Section 8, 202 or 236 properties, or participate in one of the many other affordable housing programs, NAHMA membership is essential to smart asset management.
NAHMA membership is not limited to property managers and owners. Supporting them are providers of goods and services, nonprofit organizations and other stakeholders who know that NAHMA helps them better serve the industry.
In addition, AHMA members are also subscriber members to NAHMA. As a NAHMA subscriber member, an AHMA member receives subscriptions to NAHMA News (bimonthly newsletter), NAHP Update (quarterly “how to” newsletter for credential holders), NAHMAnalysis (regular in-depth analytical report on key, emerging issues in affordable housing); access to the resources-rich Members Only area of the NAHMA Web site; and discount opportunities to NAHMA services.
However, there are added benefits available to subscriber members who would like to become more active in NAHMA and join as a “direct” member of the national organization (NAHMA’s Executive Council).
The biggest advantage to NAHMA membership is the opportunity to take a direct role in shaping national public policy for the affordable housing industry.
NAHMA concentrates its efforts on housing policy, finance and other current issues shaping affordable housing legislation and regulation, presenting testimony, drafting white papers and disseminating alerts, newsletters and other communications to its members. NAHMA also maintains strategic alliances with other industry groups, thereby strengthening the voice of the affordable housing industry.
Standards of Excellence
The promotion of professional standards is a cornerstone of NAHMA activities. NAHMA offers several professional education and certification programs:
For Affordable Housing Professionals:
- National Affordable Housing Professional® Certification (NAHP®)
- National Affordable Housing Professional® – Executive Level (NAHP-e®)
- Certified Professional of Occupancy™ (CPO™)
- Fair Housing/Section 504 Compliance™ (FHC™)
- Specialist in Housing Credit Management® (SHCM®)
- NAHMA Maintenance Professional Credentials (NAHMT™ and NAHMS™)
- Credential for Green Property Management™ (CGPM™)
- NAHMA Emerging Leaders Learning Series (NELLS)
For Affordable Multifamily Communities:
NAHMA Membership Opportunities
Executives and owners active in the management of affordable housing are eligible for membership. Members are encouraged to actively advance NAHMA’s mission, which is to advocate for quality multifamily affordable housing, the preservation of decent and safe affordable housing and the development of standards for professionals in the industry.
Annual Membership Fee: $3,025
Executive II, III and Additional
Often, several Executive members represent a single company or organization. This has many benefits, including savings on membership and other fees. Most of all, membership presents multiple ways to take a leadership position in the industry and expand networking opportunities. There is no limit to the number of Executive memberships representing a company or organization.
Annual Membership: Second Member: $2,025
Third and Each Additional Member: $1,275
Management agents and other individuals whose businesses are active in the management of affordable housing play an important supporting role in the industry and are invited to join NAHMA.
Annual Membership: AHMA Member: $1,525
Individuals whose businesses provide goods and services to owners and managers of affordable housing, or have an interest in the industry are eligible to be an affiliate member. Affiliate membership is also open to nonprofit organizations, which are invited to establish cooperative alliances with NAHMA.
Annual Membership: AHMA member: $1,025
Individual AHMA members are also subscriber members to NAHMA. As a NAHMA subscriber member, an AHMA member receives subscriptions to NAHMA News (bimonthly newsletter), NAHP Update (quarterly “how to” newsletter for credential holders), NAHMAnalysis (regular in-depth analytical report on key, emerging issues in affordable housing); access to the resources-rich Members Only area of the NAHMA Web site; and discount opportunities to NAHMA services.
Annual Membership: Included in AHMA dues
Buy Some, Get Some (BSGS) Membership Initiative
To download the BSGS flyer to share with potential members, click: BSGS Membership Initiative
To encourage owners/agents to get more of their staff involved in direct participation in NAHMA, the Buy Some, Get Some plan allows companies to receive free associate memberships based on the number of current NAHMA executive memberships they maintain and the number of affordable units they manage.
Companies with more than 20,000 units that have and/or purchase five executive-level memberships at the existing discount rates receive four free associate memberships under the plan. Companies with 6,000-20,000 units and four executive memberships receive three free associate memberships, while companies with less than 6,000 units and two executive memberships receive one free associate membership.
The free associate memberships provide an opportunity for management companies to enroll the next generation of leaders in their company in NAHMA. The association believes the up-and-comers would benefit significantly from a NAHMA membership through such opportunities as leadership development, networking, committee participation, etc.
With an associate membership, these future leaders would have access to a range of mentors in NAHMA’s executive members, who have vast industry knowledge and diverse real-world experience.
Associate members also receive the latest news concerning the affordable housing industry thanks to timely legislative NAHMAnalysis updates, email blasts for breaking Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Rural Development regulatory updates, and bimonthly issues of NAHMA News highlighting the issues facing the industry.
Additional benefits for associate members include access to the Members Only content on the NAHMA website and discounted registration to future meetings.
Other NAHMA membership initiatives include a small-tier associate membership for companies with less than a 1,000 units and a BSGS program for Affordable Housing Management Associations (AHMAs).
To learn more or to take advantage of the BSGS program, contact Brenda Moser, director of membership and meetings, by calling 703-683-8630, ext. 114, or emailing email@example.com.
The Privileges of Members
Membership Benefits at a Glance
- Voting privileges are available to Executive (I, II & III) members. These members play a strategic role in shaping national policy impacting affordable housing.
- Leadership positions allow NAHMA members to play a strategic role in advancing the affordable housing industry through activities in NAHMA, including serving on committees such as: AHMA Liaison, Budget and Finance, Certification Review Board, Contract Administration, Education and Training, Fair Housing, Federal Government Affairs, Housing Proposal, Marketing, Membership, Resolution and Bylaws, Regulatory Affairs, Rural Housing, Senior Housing, Tax Credit and TRACS.
- Accreditation programs give NAHMA members an important career advantage. A recognized source for quality educational programs, NAHMA offers these credentials: National Affordable Housing Professional-Executive (NAHP-e), National Affordable Housing Professional (NAHP), Certified Professional of Occupancy (CPO), Fair Housing Compliance (FHC), Specialist in Housing Credit Management (SHCM), Credential for Green Property Management (CGPM), and Maintenance Professional Credentials.
- Networking is important to NAHMA because it gives members an opportunity to share information and experiences. NAHMA holds three meetings a year to provide networking forums, as well as a full agenda of workshops on current issues presented by experts in their respective fields.
- Professional Recognition: Communities of Quality Awards recognize the property owners and managers who are taking bold steps to promote quality affordable housing. NAHMA recognizes these visionaries each year with five awards: Exemplary Family Development, Exemplary Development for the Elderly or Disabled, Exemplary Development for Residents with Special Needs, Exemplary Development for Single Room Occupancy Housing and Outstanding Turnaround of a Troubled Property.
- NAHMA News is a bimonthly newsletter about issues affecting the rapidly changing affordable housing industry, including regulation, legislation and NAHMA initiatives.
- NAHP Update is the quarterly newsletter for NAHPs and other site staff focusing on professional development and hands-on property management topics.
- NAHMAnalysis is a regular in-depth analytical report on key, emerging issues in affordable housing.
- Members’ Only Web site provides extensive resources at www.nahma.org.
- Drug-Free Kid Calendar is an attractive, nationally-distributed full-color calendar which acknowledges the artistic talent of youths living in member properties.
- Member Discounts can save hundreds of dollars on meeting attendance and advertising.
- Annual Membership Directory is a handy desktop reference.
- Annual Congressional Directory is a handy who’s who reference.
- Listserves provide electronic networking with NAHMA colleagues, 24/7.
- NAHMA Maps offers a free general listing on NAHMA Maps (http://nahma.apartmentsmart.com) and ApartmentSmart.com. NAHMA Maps will allow members to provide visual and statistical information to their Congressional representatives, highlighting the importance of the work NAHMA members have done to improve the quality of life for low-income residents and demonstrating the effectiveness of affordable housing programs.
For more information, please contact:
National Affordable Housing Management Association
400 N. Columbus St., Suite 203
Alexandria, VA 22314
Brenda Moser, Director of Meetings and Membership Services