NAHMA Announces 2020 Vanguard Award Application Deadline
The deadline for submissions for the National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) 2020 Affordable Housing Vanguard Award will be June 5, 2020.
The Vanguard Award celebrates success in the multifamily affordable housing industry by recognizing and benchmarking newly developed or significantly rehabbed affordable multifamily housing communities that showcase high quality design and resourceful financing. The award
- Pays tribute to developers of high-quality affordable housing;
- Demonstrates that exceptional new affordable housing is available across the country, and that it is a positive addition to any neighborhood;
- Demonstrates that the affordable multifamily industry must be creative and innovative to create exceptional properties given the financing and other challenges to development;
- Highlights results of private-public partnerships required to develop today’s affordable housing;
- Shares ideas for unique design and financing mechanisms with industry practitioners to further stimulate creative development in the affordable multifamily industry.
The Vanguard Award complements NAHMA’s Communities of Quality (COQ) National Recognition Program through which multifamily properties are certified as having achieved a high standard of excellence in the way they are managed, the services they provide residents, the experience and training of personnel, and other criteria. However, newly developed properties are too new to meet criteria of NAHMA’s COQ National Recognition Program (particularly in the inspection and financial audit categories), hence the creation of the Vanguard Award to recognize these properties. As the properties mature, they will become eligible – and will be encouraged – to enter NAHMA’s COQ National Recognition Program.
Vanguard Award Categories:
- New Construction (two subcategories: over 100 units and under 100 units)
- Major Rehabilitation of an Existing Rental Housing Community
- Major Rehabilitation of a Nonhousing Structure into Affordable Rental Housing
- Major Rehabilitation of a Historic Structure into Affordable Rental Housing
(Please note: A management company can submit one entry for each of the four categories; however, each entry must be a different property.)
Who May Apply:
Affordable multifamily housing communities that are less than 3 years old (as of June 5, 2020) may apply (based on date of completion of new construction or completion of major rehab). Please note: A management company can submit one entry for each of the four categories; however, each entry must be a different property. Affordable is defined as a property participating in a government funded, insured or otherwise sponsored program that results in rents that are below market-rate housing.
Where and When to Apply:
Applications should be submitted to the National Affordable Housing Management Association by June 5, 2020. Please email your PDF application to NAHMA at email@example.com, or mail a USB flash drive containing your PDF application to NAHMA Vanguard Award, Attn. Brenda Moser, 400 N. Columbus St., Suite 203, Alexandria, VA 22314.
The entry fee is $150 per property for members of NAHMA or an AHMA, and $325 per property for nonmembers. Please reference the name of the applicant property when submitting payment, via either credit card at the NAHMA Online Store at www.nahma.org, or via check payable to NAHMA and mailed with a completed application to NAHMA Vanguard Award, 400 N. Columbus St., Suite 203, Alexandria, VA 22314.
The Judging Process:
NAHMA will convene a distinguished panel of multifamily affordable housing practitioners in late June 2020 to conduct the judging process.
The Awards Ceremony:
Winners of the Affordable Housing Vanguard Awards will be recognized at an awards ceremony at the NAHMA fall meeting in October 2020 in Washington, D.C.
Beyond the Recognition – Other Benefits of Participation:
– A congratulations letter and certificate
– A draft press release for use with local media
– A draft letter for sending to Congressional representatives
– A free subscription to NAHMA News ($110 value)
– A crystal award
– Inclusion in a press release distributed by NAHMA to national media and trade press
– Inclusion in a detailed article on award winners in NAHMA News and on the NAHMA website
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted in PDF format. For full details on how to apply, click on the 2020 Vanguard Award Entry Form at the top of this page.