NAHMA 2020 National Poster Contest Winners Amplified Voices for Love
Jamaica Johnson, a 12th-grader from Pittsburgh, Penn., was named the grand prizewinner in NAHMA’s 2020 AHMA Drug-Free Kids poster and art contest. The talented artist’s creation appears on the cover of NAHMA’s 2021 calendar. Jamaica, 17, will also receive an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C., for a future NAHMA Biannual Top Issues in Affordable Housing conference, as well as a scholarship of $2,500 from the NAHMA Educational Foundation.
The poster contest is open to children and senior residents 55 years or older who live in a community of a NAHMA or a local Affordable Housing Management Association (AHMA) member company, as well as residents with special needs who live in a permanent supportive housing community or Section 811 community of a NAHMA or a local AHMA member company.
The underlying message for the annual contest is always a drug-free theme but NAHMA wanted to open the door for more avenues of expression, so a subtheme is incorporated into the poster contest. The subtheme for 2020 was My Voice Will Be Heard: Speaking the Language of Love.
Nearly 5,000 eligible residents participated in the nationwide contest.
Each national winner of the NAHMA contest—regardless of entry category—received a $1,000 educational scholarship from the NAHMA Educational Foundation. All winners are also featured as their own month in the 2021 calendar.
Additionally, participants in the annual art contests held by the local AHMAs were eligible to be selected as Regional AHMA Art Contest Honorable Mentions. Those selected for this distinction have their artwork featured in a special section of the NAHMA 2021 Drug-Free Kids calendar and received a $100 scholarship. These participants were in addition to those selected as national winners.
The original winning grand prize artwork was auctioned at the Educational Foundation’s virtual gala, Oct. 26, 2020, with the proceeds supporting the foundation’s scholarship program.
For the contest, the artwork is divided into categories with winners selected from each of the following: kindergarten-first grade, second-third grades, fourth-sixth grades, seventh-ninth grades, 10th-12th grades, and seniors and residents with special needs. Only students are eligible for the grand prize.
Calendars go on sale beginning in September of each year. The cost of the calendar is $5.50, which is a Department of Housing and Urban Development and U.S. Department of Agriculture allowable project expense.
The following lists the 2020 contest national program winners, with their ages at time of submission, grade completed in June 2020, contest category, the community where they live, the management company and name of the AHMA that submitted their artwork:
2020 CONTEST GRAND PRIZEWINNER
* Jamaica Johnson, 17; 12th grade; Crawford Square Apartments, Pittsburgh, Penn.; McCormack Baron Management; PAHMA
2020 CONTEST NATIONAL WINNERS
* Patricia A. Funk, 63; Special needs; Rockwood Village Apartments, Rockwood, Tenn.; The Benchmark Group; SAHMA
* Ravnoor K. Heyer, 6; Kindergarten; Los Robles Apartments, Union City, Calif.; EAH Inc.; AHMA-NCH
* Simran K. Heyer, 10; Fourth grade; Los Robles Apartments, Union City, Calif.; EAH Inc.; AHMA-NCH
* Hassan Jaweed, 14; Eighth grade; Los Robles Apartments, Union City, Calif.; EAH Inc.; AHMA-NCH
* Marc Anthony Lambert, 67; Senior; Hillcrest Elderly Apartments, Cincinnati, Ohio; The Benchmark Group; MAHMA
* Olga McGehee, 68; Senior; AHEPA 310 VIII Senior Apartments, Irvington, Ala.; AHEPA Management Company; SAHMA
* Jeuel Merritt, 14; Ninth grade; Rowan Towers, Trenton, N.J.; The Michaels Organization; JAHMA
* Alexondra Miller, 17; 12th grade; Oakland Place Apartments, Greer, S.C.; Westminster Company; SAHMA
* Diego Salcido, 11; Sixth grade; Strathern Park Apartments, Sun Valley, Calif.; Thomas Safran & Associates; AHMA-PSW
* Bette Shapiro, 75; Senior; Ocean Park Villas, Santa Monica, Calif.; G&K Management; AHMA-PSW
* Alice Valdillez, 15; Eighth grade; West End Baptist Manor Apartments, San Antonio, Texas; McDougal Companies; SWAHMA
* Aubree Jae Valdillez, 7; First grade; West End Baptist Manor Apartments, San Antonio, Texas; McDougal Companies; SWAHMA
* Cheng Thom Vang, 9; Third grade; Stanley Square Apartments, Stanley, N.C.; Westminster Company; SAHMA
2020 CONTEST HONORABLE MENTIONS
* Asiyah Alston, 12; Sixth grade; West Popular Apartments, Philadelphia, Penn.; The Michaels Organization; PennDel; AHMA
* Hadia Gehafari, 9; Third grade; Treesdale Apartments, Charlottesville, Va.; Park Properties Management Company; Mid-Atlantic; AHMA
* Jean Mistretta, 77; Senior; Linwood Mill Apartments, Whitinsville, Mass.; Peabody Properties; NEAHMA
THE 2020 CONTEST WINNERS
2020 CONTEST HONORABLE MENTIONS
Asiyah Alston, 12
Hadia Gehafari, 9
Jean Mistretta, 77