Celebrate Education With Us!
Be a Sponsor
- For information on available sponsorship packages, download: 2018 Gala
- To order tickets online, visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nahma-educational-foundation-inspire-gala-tickets-47527546170
Our annual fundraising event supports the scholarship fund for the NAHMA Educational Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, dedicated to furthering the educational opportunities of residents living at an Affordable Housing Management Association (AHMA) member property. The foundation annually grants educational scholarships to qualified applicants holding a high school diploma or an equivalency diploma who are pursuing higher education in a college, university, community college, trade/professional school or institution. Since inception, the foundation has awarded 697 scholarships in the amount of $1,414,215.
When & Where
Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
The Mansion on O Street, 2020 O St. NW, Washington, D.C.
2018 Inspiration Award Recipients: Wayne Fox, president, Realty Management Associates and Jim McGrath, chairman, PRD Management
The gala serves as the primary public annual fundraising event for the NAHMA Educational Foundation’s scholarship fund. Besides the presentation of the Inspiration Award, the celebration also features the annual calendar contest poster auction, which includes the chance to bid on unique experiences and jewelry, and an opportunity to network with industry leaders.
Megan Davidson, Event Committee Chair
Online Application Process for 2018 NAHMA Educational Foundation Scholarship Program Is Now Closed
- To watch a webinar explaining how to apply for the NAHMA Educational Foundation 2018 scholarship, click here
- To download a flyer to share with residents or help promote the scholarship, click NAHMA Educational Foundation Resident Flyer 2018
The NAHMA Educational Foundation is accepting 2018 applications for scholarships to be awarded to worthy student residents. This year will be the 12th consecutive year that the foundation has made scholarships available. Eligibility for the program requires that an applicant be a resident in good standing at an AHMA-affiliated multifamily community and be either a high school senior with a minimum 2.5 GPA or a matriculated student with a minimum 2.3 GPA at an accredited community college, college, university or trade/technical school.
The process requires applicants to complete an online application form, two references, an essay and a certification of residency in good standing form. A current grade transcript is also necessary and is the only application component sent via U.S. mail to the foundation. All necessary forms are provided within the web-based application and no hard copies are needed.
Anyone with questions about the application process or the scholarship program in general should contact Dr. Bruce W. Johnson, NAHMA scholarship program administrator, at 215-262-4230 or at email@example.com.
In 2007, the foundation awarded 22 scholarships worth a total of $22,000 and last year a record 130 scholarships were awarded worth $325,000. Additionally, $2,000 was donated to the Real Estate Management Department at Virginia Tech. Through the 11-year history of the program, more than $1,250,000 worth of scholarships have been provided to accomplished student residents. The NAHMA Educational Foundation is very pleased to have been able to create this legacy supporting resident academic achievement for the betterment of communities across the country.
“The foundation is one of only a few of its type in the nation and we are very proud of the difference we have made in the lives of families living in affordable housing,” said Melissa Fish-Crane, NAHMA Educational Foundation chair. “We appreciate the continued financial support of the friends of the NAHMA Educational Foundation and welcome any area businesses, corporations, private trusts, families and individuals who wish to join us in our effort to recognize and assist those who are the future of their respective communities.”
The deadline for completed applications is 10 p.m. EDT on Friday, May 25. Please alert your residents about the scholarship program so that they can take advantage of the lengthy timeline that remains to complete their application. The foundation is hopeful that 2018 will bring in more completed applications than in any of the previous 11 years the program has been in existence.
To help support the scholarship program with a tax-deductible donation, text NAHMA to 243-725 or visit http://bidpal.net/NAHMA.
For more details on the mission of the NAHMA Educational Foundation and opportunities to support its work, contact Brenda Moser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us with the #GivingTuesday campaign for NAHMA Educational Foundation
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
As Ben Franklin liked to say, “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” The NAHMA Educational Foundation is proud to observe this philosophy at work every day, as we work with and hear from the hundreds deserving scholars living in NAHMA affiliate low-income housing communities who benefit from our small annual educational scholarships.This #GivingTuesday is your opportunity to share how and why you think education matters.
- Make a direct and instant $25 donation at http://bidpal.net/NAHMA. We need 100 people at $25 each to fund just one more scholarship for 2018!
- Call or email your network — friends, colleagues, company, with the donation link (http://bidpal.net/NAHMA) and ask them to make a $25 donation.
- Post a photo, story or comment that demonstrates why you believe in the Foundation and share it on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram or Twitter, using the hashtags: #NAHMAEducationalFoundation and #GivingTuesday.
- Share our campaign link http://bidpal.net/NAHMA to LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and ask your network to help us fund one more scholarship for a student living in a NAHMA affiliate low-income housing community. Use the hashtags: #NAHMAEducationalFoundation and #GivingTuesday.
- Like and share the Foundation Facebook page with your staff, members, property residents, clients, staff, vendors and your broader social network to help us drive more visitors. www.facebook.com/NAHMAEducationalFoundation
- Throw down a challenge to your team and see how much scholarship funding your company can crowdsource in an hour using our Text-2-Give app. Just TEXT the word NAHMA to 243725 and then you get an instant link where one can make a pledge or donation. Why not make this a game that goes viral and see if your team can help us to move the needle!
Every small gift makes a difference for students who are jumping at the chance to make their educational dreams come true. Thank you!
NAHMA Educational Foundation Sets Record Giving 130 Scholarships
Alexandria, Va., Aug. 11, 2017 ― The National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA)’s Educational Foundation has selected 130 student/residents to receive scholarships this year. The program set records in 2017 with the number of applications filed, the number of complete applications received, the number of scholarships awarded, and the total amount of money to be distributed since the program’s inception in 2006.
Each individual scholarship is worth $2,500 and the total amount of money awarded this year is $325,000. Additionally, $2,000 will be donated to the Real Estate Management Department at Virginia Tech.
With the money awarded in 2017, the grand total of scholarship money distributed over the 11-year history of the program now exceeds $1,250,000. This year’s class of NAHMA scholars comes from 25 different states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and represents 12 different regional Affordable Housing Management Associations (AHMAs).
“The foundation is absolutely thrilled with this year’s selections. We are awarding 51 more scholarships than we did in 2016. A new record was established in just about every category of the program. And, we are especially delighted to have gone over the $1 million threshold in total money awarded over the life of the program. We want to congratulate each individual that was selected and commend them for their outstanding academic performance. The foundation also wants to express its sincere gratitude to all of our donors and sponsors, whose continuing generous donations, make this wonderful program possible!” Melissa Fish-Crane, NAHMA Educational Foundation chair, said.
The NAHMA Educational Foundation is very pleased to have been able to create this legacy supporting resident academic achievement for the betterment of communities across the country.
To read the complete list of 2017/2018 scholars, click on the link: NAHMA Educational Foundation Sets Record Giving 130 Scholarships.
The NAHMA Educational Foundation is organized and operated exclusively as a Section 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Founded in October 1994, the NAHMA Educational Foundation works in tandem with its sister organization, the 501(c)(6) National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA).
The mission of the NAHMA Educational Foundation is to assist residents of federally subsidized housing as they strive to enhance their lives, job opportunities and children’s futures. Its mission is also to enhance the livability and standing of communities managed by NAHMA member companies nationwide.
The objectives of the NAHMA Educational Foundation are:
- To engage in activities to make scholarships possible for students living in low-income housing
- To conduct a yearly poster art contest that allows children, seniors and adults with special needs living in affordable multifamily housing to submit artwork with a drug-free theme; every year the original artwork is auctioned off and all profits fund further scholarships through the foundation
Over the past few years, the NAHMA Educational Foundation has seen continued, steady growth in fundraising efforts to provide scholarships to residents of affordable housing communities. The foundation accepts tax deductible contributions at any time during the year. For more information, contact Brenda Moser at the NAHMA Educational Foundation at 703-683-8630, ext. 114.