This webpage is dedicated to providing members with current, easy-to-use resources for learning about and fostering urban farming at communities across the nation. Members are encouraged to forward new links and information they discover to NAHMA staff, who will post to this webpage. Please share your own examples and pictures with firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Information and Resources
- Planning for Food Access and Community-Based Food Systems
- Seeding the City: Land Use Policies to Promote Urban Agriculture
- Starting a Community Garden Fact Sheet – American Community Gardening Association
- Assessing and Managing Soil Quality for Urban Agriculture in a Degraded Lot (pay to view)
- Urban Agriculture State Legislation – Information on Urban Agriculture Legislation Recently Passed in Various States – National Conference of State Legislators
Various federal departments provide an array of information and tools on urban agriculture and community gardens. The following resources will supply you with compliance items and regulatory policies to consider when designing your own urban farming projects.
EPA Urban Farming Resources:
HUD Urban Farming Resources:
- Coming soon
USDA Urban Farming Resources:
- Urban Farm Business Plan Handbook – Provides guidance for organizations or communities interested in developing an urban farm. Includes a business plan and information on developing marketing, operating and financial strategies.
- Urban Soil Primer – Introduction to urban soils for local planning boards and property managers
- Urban Agriculture & Improving Local, Sustainable Food Systems – Outlines steps for starting a project; links to success stories and current urban agriculture projects; identifies information and resources available from federal agencies and non-governmental organizations
- Urban Farm Photo Gallery – Images of urban farming, rooftop gardens, and Community Supported Agriculture projects.
Each state has a unique environment for sustaining community gardens. There are also differing state regulations to keep in mind when beginning or expanding an urban farm. The following documents will provide you with state-by-state resources for your own urban farming projects
States Listed in Alphabetical Order
Urban Farming Community Examples
Below are examples of urban farming projects currently in use by multifamily properties. (Listed in alphabetical order by property name.)
- Coming soon