Federal Agencies and Regulatory Action
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Coronavirus Website
- CDC COVID-19 Guide Supporting President’s Plan for Opening America Up Again (May 2020)
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities (Interim Guidance)
- Guide for Community Mitigation Strategies
- Community mitigation strategies for schools, workplaces and community locations
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Information for Travel
- Prevention and Treatment
- Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019
- What to do if you are sick with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Know the Facts About Coronavirus and Help Stop the Spread of Rumors
- Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID19 White House Background and Additional Information
- Joint guidance from EPA and the CDC on cleaning and disinfecting public spaces, workplaces, businesses, schools and homes
Department of Agriculture, Rural Housing Service (USDA-RHS)
- USDA Rural Development has launched a COVID-19 resource page to keep stakeholders continuously updated on actions taken by the agency to help rural residents, businesses, and communities impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak. At the bottom of this RD Covid-19 resource webpage, there is a section for Frequently Asked Questions pertaining to rural multifamily housing. Additional FAQs were issued on April 13, 2020 by email distribution.
- USDA Rural Development Issues Multi-Family Housing FAQs for Tenants. The FAQs are also available in Spanish (May 6, 2020)
- USDA Rural Development Provides Guidance on Accessing Small Business Administration Relief Programs (April 24, 2020)
- USDA issues Section 538 Forbearance Guidance (April 17, 2020)
- USDA COVID-19 Federal Rural Resource Guide (April 13, 2020)
- USDA Implements Immediate Measures to Help Rural Residents, Businesses and Communities Affected by COVID-19 (April, 8 2020)
- USDA Rural Development issues CARES Act Forbearance Request and Eviction Guidance (April 2, 2020)
- The April 2 guidance provides a sample workout agreement
- USDA Provides Updated Guidance on Rural Multi-Family Housing and other Rural Development Programs impacted by COVID-19 (March 25, 2020)
- USDA provides preliminary guidance on Rural Multi-Family Housing in the wake of COVID-19 (March 20, 2020)
- USDA Announces Feeding Program Partnership in Response to COVID-19 (March 17, 2020)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced $250 million in grants from the Administration for Community Living (ACL) to help communities provide meals for older adults. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act, signed into law by President Trump on March 18, 2020, provided the additional funding for the nutrition services programs authorized by the Older Americans Act (OAA) of 1965. These programs provide meals to more than 2.4 million older adults each year, both through home delivery and in places like community centers.
- HHS has published a Capacity-Building Toolkit for including Aging & Disability Networks in Emergency Planning
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) issued an updated advisory memorandum on Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During Covid-19 response. (Revised April 20, 2020).
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Click on the following link for the HUD Coronavirus web portal providing resources for HUD program participants, department employees and others: https://www.hud.gov/coronavirus
- Click on the following link for the HUD webpage providing links to Covid-19 resources organized by HUD program offices: https://www.hud.gov/coronavirus/resources_from_program_offices
- HUD Webinars
- COVID-19 and Multifamily (May 4, 2020): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sg0eb9rwfze18yd/AAB0ODP3PWryCL_8eWv73XH7a?dl=0
- COVID-19 and Housing (Spanish): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3myy3wmvbltxphd/AAB2yhuveCSEmh3cU5p4UnF7a?dl=0
- COVID-19 and Public Housing (May 4 2020): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bbfy8ryydstubc/AACY1sNMgcAS_t5wGVmv-zK1a?dl=0
- Multifamily Housing:
- Questions-and-Answers on COVID-19 for Housing Stakeholders are updated frequently on the HUD MF website: HUD Multifamily Website (Look to the left side of the webpage, in a box titled “Multifamily Housing COVID-19 Guidance”).
- The most recent MF Q-and-A is available here: Multifamily Q and A (Updated May 21, 2020)
- HUD Multifamily Issues Guidance for Electronic Signature, Transmission and Storage (May 26, 2020)
- HUD Multifamily is providing pre-recorded presentations (accessible via SoundCloud) to address stakeholder questions:
- HUD MF will host a COVID19 Webinar on May 4 focused on cleaning and disinfecting to protect individuals in HUD-assisted multifamily properties. MF will also host the COIVD19 Webinar in Spanish on May 6
- HUD MF issues Multifamily Tenant Concerns COVID-19 Brochure (April 23, 2020)
- HUD MF issues a notice regarding Implementation of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act Forbearance (April 10, 2020)
- HUD MF issues a notice regarding Section 223(f) Underwriting Mitigants for Multifamily Housing Projects due to Economic Impact of COVID-19 Emergency (April 10, 2020)
- Multifamily Production Closings — OGC FAQ (March 24, 2020)
- Best Practices for Electronic Submission for MF Closings during COVID-19 pandemic: MF Closing Best Practices (Updated March 19, 2020)
- TRACS COVID-19 Notification on the Impact on Tenant Annual and Interim Recertifications (March 24, 2020)
- Public and Indian Housing:
- PIH’s COVID-19 resources webpage
- FAQs for the Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) (including the Project-based Voucher Program (PBV)) and Native American Programs are posted to the PIH Covid-19 resources webpage; the most recent FAQs for public housing agencies is linked here (April 22, 2020)
- PIH provided a Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher and Native Programs COVID-19 Waiver Summery Chart (April 30, 2020). Previously it had provided related guidance via PIH Notice 2020-05: COVID-19 Statutory and Regulatory Waivers (April 10, 2020)
- PIH provided a flyer on Addressing Tenant Concerns regarding rent and the temporary suspension of evictions for nonpayment of rent (April 30, 2020)
- PIH provided guidance for Housing Choice Voucher Program Administrative Fees (April 28, 2020)
- PIH provided guidance on the Public Housing Operating Fund provided through the CARES Act (April 28, 2020)
- PIH provided guidance on Section 4024 of the CARES Act. Section 4024 imposes a temporary moratorium on evictions and a moratorium on fees and penalties related to nonpayment of rent (April 21, 2020)
- PIH provided a recorded stakeholder call and accompanying Powerpoint slides regarding passage of the CARES Act (April 9, 2020)
- Memo that addresses the suspension of REAC inspections and other programmatic information – pih multifamily covid – FINAL. 03 13 2020
- Homelessness Assistance Programs:
- HUD’s Disease Risks and Homelessness website offers a variety of resources through the HUD Exchange platform for the department’s community partners
- Infectious Disease Toolkit for Continuum of Care (CoC) grant recipients
- Client screening and workflow examples
- Webinar on Infectious Disease Preparedness for Homeless Assistance Providers and Their Partners (March 10, 2020) – Link to webinar
- YouTube Message from Commissioner Montgomery regarding COVID-19. (March 17, 2020)
- YouTube Message from HUD Secretary Ben Carson regarding COVID-19. (March 16, 2020)
Department of Labor (DOL)
- Click here for the DOL Coronavirus Website for the department’s latest updates
- OSHA Guide to Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- DOL announced a new temporary rule (on April 1, 2020) to implement the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA); more details are provided on the webpage Covid-19 and the American Workplace.
Department of the Treasury and Internal Revenue Service
- The Department of the Treasury provides webpage resources on provisions and implementation of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act. For additional details on programs provided under the CARES Act, please see the Small Business Administration links provided on this webpage.
- The IRS provides details on COVID-19-related tax credits for required paid leave for small and midsize businesses
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA)
- The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) main webpage with links for Covid-19 resources
- The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) announced that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will offer multifamily property owners mortgage forbearance with the condition that they suspend all evictions for renters unable to pay rent due to the impact of coronavirus. Click here for more details.
Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC)
- State Housing Finance Agency Updates provided by the National Council of State Housing Agencies (NCSHA)
- The National Council of State Housing Agencies (NCSHA) has reported that IRS staff have confirmed that Housing Credit agencies in states with a federal Major Disaster declaration can rely on relief measures provided in Revenue Procedures 2014-49 and 2014-50
- In letter sent on April 8, 2020, industry groups urged the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and U.S. Department of the Treasury (Treasury) to take immediate action to provide deadline extensions and other necessary accommodations for the LIHTC program in light of the severe disruptions the COVID-19 pandemic is having on development and construction activities and the ongoing operations of existing Housing Credit properties.
- Notice-2020-23: Update to Notice 2020-18, Additional Relief for Taxpayers Affected by COVID19 (April 16, 2020) The notice provides that taxpayers have until July 15, 2020, to perform specified time-sensitive actions due to be performed on or after April 1, 2020, and before July 15, 2020. While the notice does not specifically reference any LIHTC or Housing Bond deadlines, it applies the July 15 deadline to all time-sensitive actions included in IRS Revenue Procedure 2018-58, which includes numerous deadlines related to these programs.
Small Business Administration (SBA)
- SBA’s Economic Injury Disaster Loans offer up to $2 million in assistance for a small business. These loans can provide economic support to small businesses to help overcome the temporary loss of revenue they are experiencing. Further resources can be found on SBA’s website: www.SBA.gov/coronavirus and www.SBA.gov/disaster.
- The SBA is charged with implementing several provisions of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act. For an overview of CARES Act implementation, see the Department of the Treasury overview.
- The SBA provides detailed information on the Paycheck Protection Program, part of the CARES Act.
Federal Legislative Action
The Paycheck Protection Program Increase and Health Care Enhancement Act
- The Congressional Budget Office provides an overview of the Paycheck Protection Program Increase and Health Care Enhancement Act, which was signed into law on April 24, 2020.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) (Phase 3)
- The Congressional Research Service report on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act, which was signed into law on March 27, 2020.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) (Phase 2)
- The Congressional Research Service report on the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, which was signed into law on March 18, 2020.
The Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act (Phase 1)
- The Congressional Research Service report on the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, which was signed into law on March 6, 2020.
NAHMA and Industry Legislative Advocacy
- NAHMA letter to congressional leaders requesting emergency rental assistance fund and additional measures (May 20, 2020)
- NAHMA COVID Grassroots Alert to Members (May 20, 2020)
- NAHMA COVID Grassroots Alert to Members (April 8, 2020)
- NAHMA letter to congressional leaders requesting emergency rental assistance fund and additional measures (April 7, 2020)
- Joint Industry Letter to Congressional Leaders Requesting Emergency Rental Assistance Fund and Additional Financial Mitigation 04.07.20 FINAL Real Estate Letter for phase 4 (April 7, 2020)
- NAHMA COVID Grassroots Alert to Members (March 20, 2020)
- Joint Industry Letter to Congressional Leaders Requesting Emergency Rental Assistance Fund and Financial Mitigation 3.19.20 FINAL Real Estate Industry Letter (March 19, 2020)