This webpage is dedicated to providing members with current, easy-to-use tools for participating in grassroots advocacy. Ultimately, these toolkits will assist all NAHMA members in becoming effective grassroots advocates. Current grassroots topics and opportunities for participation in advocacy may be found on the ‘Urgent Issues‘ page.
Getting Started with Advocacy
- Grassroots Advocacy Basics – Learn what grassroots advocacy is, why it’s important for our industry, and how to get involved
- Advocacy Toolkit – Use our toolkit to get started with advocacy today!
- Urgent Grassroots Issues – The latest NAHMA action campaigns
Affordable Housing Policy Issues
- NAHMA 2021 Top Legislative Priorities (May 2021) – NAHMA’s key policy issues 2021
- Pandemic Advocacy and Updates (See Federal Legislative Action)
- LIHTC Advocacy Resources from the ACTION Campaign providing information on the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit and how Congress can support this essential program.
How to Find Your Congressional Representatives
- 117th Congress Who to Contact for Affordable Housing Policy – An overview of the the key Congressional members and committees that will likely impact affordable housing policies in the 117th Congress.
- NEW! Write directly to your Senators and Representatives! Visit this free grassroots tool: https://democracy.io/#!/
- Senators: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
- Representatives: https://www.house.gov/ and enter zip-code in upper right-hand corner
- You may also search for your elected officials using your address through an unaffiliated website here
NAHMA is happy to help you decide what times are best to visit Capitol Hill, who you would like to meet with, and how to best present your message. If you would like NAHMA to schedule the appointment on your behalf, simply contact NAHMA’s Government Affairs Team. Alternatively, if you would like to meet with a member of Congress and it is more convenient to schedule a visit in your Representative’s District, please contact us so that we may provide any additional assistance.
Support Advocacy at NAHMA
- Support NAHMA’s Regulatory-Legislative Advocacy Fund! Your contribution funds NAHMA’s government affairs and other grassroots activities that keep the affordable housing industry’s perspective at the forefront of the congressional and federal regulatory agendas.
Please note that participating in a NAHMA request for communication with your Congressional representatives will not cause you to be considered a Lobbyist under federal guidelines. The definition for Lobbyist under federal guidelines is as follows, and all three conditions must be met:
Lobbyist: Any individual (1) who is either employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation (2) whose services include more than one lobbying contact; and (3) whose “lobbying activities” constitute 20 percent or more of his or her services on behalf of thatclient during any three month period.
AHMA 501(c)3 Organizations and Lobbying – Federal guidelines in lobbying and the role of the AHMAs in the advocacy process